My name is Michal Shalgi Hirsch, and I am an interior architect and designer.
I believe that the spaces we live in impact and influence our well-being, health, and happiness. As well as our creativity. Productivity and overall feelings.
I Love to take a space and transform it into a well-planned and beautifully designed exciting space to indulge life in.
It makes me happy to make people happy through my design.
I also love to travel, dance, read, meet with people, and explore.
Since August 2018, I live in the heart of beautiful Amsterdam. With my beloved husband and three girls.
Here is a list I prepared for you of great design stores in Amsterdam (or online) where you can find inspiration and shop for some amazing designed furniture and house decor.
It is also a must-have for anyone who is before or In the midst of a renovation or an interior design project.
Feel free to send it to a friend that can benefit from it.
My list consists of stores in different price ranges. Some of them show and sell the best designs in the world and priced accordingly, some are moderately priced and some are very affordable.
I mostly recommend purchasing from a mixture of stores with some differences in their price ranges. In this way you can have some magnificent pieces, that will catch the eye and can last you a lifetime. And yet save on your expenses in places it will less make a difference.
For instance, if you want to redesign your bedroom, you can choose a basic wardrobe and get more special light fixtures and an amazing bed. Add a simple bed-side nightstand (can also be a shelf or a stool), and go for an amazing drawers unit!
In the end, the combination of all things, along with the decore will make the total look.
Where to get inspired and go shopping for furniture and home decor in Amsterdam:
Here you come for inspiration, and also for a light meal or coffee in a magically designed cafe.
Droog is a conceptual design company. They focus on matters that affect society and its people. The process is key. Their work is anti-disciplinary. And the outcome can be anything that contributes to society.
- Website: https://www.droog.com/
- Address: Staalstraat 7-A, 1011 JJ Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/29mfgySo9rvGchfKA
The frozen fountain
A fabulous mainly Dutch design store.
Here you can find everything you need and desire for furnishing and decor.
The frozen sells products from iconic Dutch designers, such as Piet Hein Eek. Some younger stars such as Dirk van der Kooij with his 3D colorful recycled furniture and from many more talented creators. including giving a stage for young ones, just out of design school.
- Website: https://www.frozenfountain.nl
- Address: Prinsengracht 645, 1016 HV Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/xnQa8oEg7D3MoVw47
This contemporary brand, led by Marcel Wanders (The naughty boy of Dutch design) has an 850-m2 space in the Westerhuis.
Offering a gigantic area in which to showcase their wares from top designers.
Mooi states that their mission is: “To create an environment of love, live with passion and make our most exciting dreams come true”.
- Website: https://www.moooi.com/nl
- Address: Westerstraat 187, 1015 MA Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://g.page/moooi-amsterdam?share
Modern furniture from the top brands and leading designers. along with 20 century well known classics such as Eames, Carl Hansen and many more. Located in the beautiful Utrechtsestraat. You can probably order any modern piece of furniture via this store. Lookout, you will love it all!
- Website: https://www.mobilia.nl/
- Address: Utrechtsestraat 62, 1017 VR, Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/An7kqn8txu4JSYez5
The Danish design brand HAY is primarily inspired by Danish furniture from the fifties and sixties. In cooperation with renowned and new talented designers, HAY offers a collection based on sustainability and high quality
- Website: http://www.hay-amsterdam.com/
- Address: Spuistraat 281 abc, 1012 VR Amsterdam
- Phone: 020 370 8851
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/ugYYxxosrh7XQKG99
Founded in Denmark, this brand with a few stores in Amsterdam, the Hague and Utrecht, brings a new interpretation to Scandinavian design. Furniture and accessories, a wide variety in a medium price range.
- Website: https://www.bolia.com/en/
- Address: Raadhuisstraat/ Utrechtsestraat Amsterdam
- Raadhuisstraat 55, 1016 DD Amsterdam
- Utrechtsestraat 78-80, 1017 VR Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/SG3x7Lj8AT5KndW59
A family business of some generations. Wulf brings contemporary furniture from various brands in a medium price range.
- Website: https://www.wulfwonen.nl/
- Address: Rozengracht 74-76-78, 1016 NE Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://g.page/wulf-wonen?share
Good design for affordable prices. Made has pieces in different styles. Mostly modern and young.
- Website: https://www.made.com
- Address: Raadhuisstraat 31-37, 1016 DC Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/CGfcvczRfDgS4w25A
Another good option for well-designed furniture in a mid-range budget.
- Website: https://www.dotshop.nl/
- Address: Van Woustraat 122-128, 1073 LT Amsterdam (and some more)
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/Tiig6rrDYJeCtdm66
The physical store is a packed place filled with furniture arranged by brands.
I find it a bit too packed and not so friendly. But the online store is easy to search. You will find here various brands in different price ranges.
- Website: https://loods5.nl/
- Address: various locations and online
I loved this light blue “Panton” chair and metal shelves in a matching tone I spotted in the store.
Here are some small and special niche stores:
Restored is centered around the idea that simplicity brings calm and beauty and restores the balance in life.
They work with small labels and independent designers and bring a very Scandinavian/ Japanese design approach.
- Website: https://restored.nl/
- Address: Haarlemmerdijk 39 Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map:
Cool furniture pieces created from high quality birch plywood.
Founded in 2013 KILO was born out of a desire to create a new generation of heirlooms. An alternative to today’s throwaway, mass-produced furniture, as well as to the overly designed and overpriced brands.
KILO uses a single material and one tool.
They combine the latest technology with timeless craftsmanship. Using state of the art CNC-machinery that enables them to produce each part to exact measurements while they sand and oil the parts by hand to obtain a premium finish.
- Website: https://kilo.amsterdam/
- Address: Westerstraat 72HS, 1015 ML Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/NGWPURQnVr4FqLP67
A beautifully picked collection of antiques, vintage furniture, and various home and lifestyle accessories. Many items are specially manufactured for the store and brought from the far east.
This is not Dutch design but design brought to the Dutch (and to all expats and tourists that live in or visit Amsterdam).
- Website: https://www.weldaad.com/
- Address: Noordermarkt 35, 1015 NA Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://g.page/WeldaadAuthenticInterior?share
Looking for something else?
The biggest collection of vintage industrial lighting. Weekly updated with new models. Specialized in a factory, industrial enamel lamps, and special light objects.
- Website: https://360volt.com
- Address: Prinsengracht 397, 1016 HL Amsterdam
- Link to the location on Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/fCX8ayqM8Bb9kw527
These are a few of the stores I like to shop at with my clients, but there are more 🙂 And since I know many of the store’s owners and sellers, my clients receive VIP service!
I will be happy to meet for a coffee and see how I can best be at your service.
- Have a one-time counseling meeting to upgrade your home or workspace (see more details here).
- Go on a fast shopping round to upgrade any interior.
- Plan a full hand in hand new interior design for your home or business.
- Discuss A full refurbishment project for your home/business.
Please contact me by phone or email.
All the best,